Following on from my recent batch of “what I’m doing at the moment” style posts, I just thought I would mention some of the infrastructure I’ve been installing and configuring recently…
We are still part way through a migration from Oracle Application Server to WebLogic 11g. There are many applications to migrate and test, fortunately not by me, but they fit into two main categories.
I came across a rather annoying little bug yesterday…
One of the guys was trying to compile an Oracle Form on the app server and got this message.
*** ASSERT at file pdw1.c, line 4061 PSDGON missing. Can't get object number Source Location = XNSPC0P99_2013_06_12_17_44_38__AB[71, 7]
Uncle Google pointed me in the direction of this MOS Note [ID 1276725.1].
It turns out it is a problem with the 126.96.36.199 client, which happens to be the version that ships with Forms and Reports Services. The Forms compilation fails when the form references a database function that uses the Function Result Cache in 11g.
Last year I wrote an article about the installation of Oracle Forms and Reports Services 11gR2 on Oracle Linux 5. I’ve now written the article for Oracle Forms and Reports Services 11gR2 on Oracle Linux 6. The latest patch of F&RS is certified for OL6, along with JDK6 and JDK7.
In addition to the installation articles, I’ve compiled a collection of random notes about post-installation configuration into a separate article. I keep adding to it every time I come across a new (for me) issue.
I ran through a Forms & Reports Services installation on WebLogic 10.3.6 this morning, so I made some minor tweaks to my existing 10.3.5 articles on that subject.
The current spin of Forms & Reports Services has a prerequisite check for 10.3.5, so you just have to turn off the prerequisites check using this.
$ ./runInstaller -ignoreSysPrereqs
Apart from that it’s pretty much business as usual.
In an attempt to delay packing for my trip, I decided to give the server installation on Linux a go.
The installation was pretty straight forward. I will take a look at some of the further configuration stuff when I get back from my trip.
At least one of the apps at work will be moving to Forms 11gR2, so I thought I better do a run through of the desktop developer installation before someone asks me how it is done.
Our standard desktop environment is still Windows XP (32-bit), hence the archaic choice here.
The company I’m currently working for have a number of legacy Forms apps that will probably never get upgraded, so the recent news about JRE 1.7 and eBS being an issue (because of the Oracle Forms component) made me worry just a bit.
This has been an interesting week, but not really that surprising.
I was called back to a previous client site where I had previously helped with some Oracle Application Server (10.1.2.2) post-install configuration. In that previous visit, I got oriented to the environment they use and the packaged application they were deploying. The packaged application uses JSP, Oracle Forms, and Oracle Reports (possibly also Discoverer). The deployment environment is all Microsoft Windows servers with two Oracle Application Server homes per application server since the vendor’s deployment requires that JSPs be deployed in a separate O_H from the Oracle Forms and Oracle Reports environment (that’s the first eyebrow-raise I did, but whatever).
This customer had an environment that was configured by the vendor for testing purposes and it works fine. However, it uses HTTP and they want to use HTTPS for all client-server traffic. They also wanted to be able to manage the environment and be better equipped to support it, so they left the vendor-installed environment as is and built a new environment on new servers so they’d get first-hand views of the install and configuration procedures. Since all the application servers are virtual machines, they could easily create additional machines.