Search

OakieTags

Who's online

There are currently 0 users and 29 guests online.

Recent comments

Troubleshooting

Delete/Insert #2

In the previous post I threw out a couple of options for addressing the requirement to transfer data from one table to another (“cut and paste” rather than just “copy”) without running into odd inconsistency errors. This triggered of a wonderful comment trail of alternatives based on how large the volume might be, how relaxed the concurrency requirements might be, and so on.

A comment by SydOracle1 picked up on my failure to get Oracle working with the “as of SCN” syntax because it kept reporting ORA-08187 and suggested a straightforward use of the VERSIONS strategy. I thought it was quite surprising that this could work given that “as of SCN” didn’t, so I whipped up a quick test to check it – adding a couple of little refinements to the supplied sample – and it worked.

Anniversary OICA

Happy anniversary to me!

On this day 10 years ago I published the first article in my blog. It was about the parameter optimizer_index_cost_adj (hence OICA), a parameter that has been a  source of many performance problems and baffled DBAs over the years and, if you read my first blog posting and follow the links, a parameter that should almost certainly be left untouched.

Fixed Stats

There are quite a lot of systems around the world that aren’t using the AWR (automatic workload repository) and ASH (active session history) tools to help them with trouble shooting because of the licensing requirement – so I’m still finding plenty of sites that are using Statspack and I recently came across a little oddity at one of these sites that I hadn’t noticed before: one of the Statspack snapshot statements was appearing fairly regularly in the Statspack report under the “SQL Ordered by Elapsed Time” section – even when the application had been rather busy and had generated lots of other work that was being reported. It was the following statement – the collection of file-level statistics:

My session workload

My old website (www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk) will be disappearing in a couple of weeks – but there are a couple of timeless articles on it that are worth saving and although the popularity of this one has probably been surpassed by Tanel Poder’s Snapper script, or other offerings by Tom Kyte or Adrian Billington, it’s still one of those useful little things to have around – it’s a package to takes a snapshot of your session stats.

The package depends on a view created in the SYS schema, and the package itself has to be installed in the SYS schema – which is why other strategies for collecting the information have become more popular; but if you want to have it handy, here are the two scripts:

Kill CPU

My old website (www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk) will be disappearing in a couple of weeks – but there are a couple of timeless articles on it that are worth saving and a method for soaking up all the CPU on your system with a simple SQL statement against a small data set is, surely, one of them. Here, then is a little script that I wrote (or, at least, formalised) 15 years ago to stress out a CPU:

Stats collection time

Yesterday I posted a note about querying dba_optstat_operations to get a quick report of how long calls to dbms_stats had been taking but said I had another script that helped to fill some of the gaps it left. One of my readers points out fairly promptely that 12c enhances the feature considerably, with a view dba_optstat_operation_tasks that (for example) lists all the tables processed during a single call to gather_schema_stats.

Well, I wrote my script years (if not decades) before 12c came out, so I’m going to publish it anyway.

Stats time

I don’t really remember how long it’s been since Oracle created an automatic log of how long a call to the dbms_stats package took, though it was probably some time in the 10g time-line. It wasn’t until it had been around for several years, though before I wrote little script (possibly prompted by a comment from Martin Widlake) that I’ve used occasionally since to see what’s been going on in the past, how variable stats collection times have been, and what unexpected dbms_stats call an application may have been making. Here’s what it currently looks like:

Securefile space

Here’s a little script I hacked together a couple of years ago from a clone of a script I’d been using for checking space usage in the older types of segments. Oracle Corp. eventually put together a routine to peer inside securefile LOBs:

Space Usage

Here’s a simple script that I’ve used for many years to check space usage inside segments.  The comment about freelist groups may be out of date  – I’ve not had to worry about that for a very long time. There is a separate script for securefile lobs.

How to fix a problem with the spfile in #Oracle

An invalid entry in the spfile may prevent the instance from starting up:

SQL> alter system set sga_target=500m scope=spfile;

System altered.

SQL> shutdown immediate
Database closed.
Database dismounted.
ORACLE instance shut down.
SQL> startup
ORA-00821: Specified value of sga_target 512M is too small, needs to be at least 1392M

The instance doesn’t come up! This is easy to fix without having to restore the spfile from backup:

SQL> create pfile='/home/oracle/init.ora' from spfile;

File created.

SQL> host vi /home/oracle/init.ora

Now correct the value in the text file. I just removed the sga_target parameter from it here. Then